From Business Journals:
Note: We don’t post many of these rankings but we make an exception since this is one compiled by newspapers that include our own Memphis Business Journal.
Each market’s score has been determined by a six-part formula. (See the methodology sidebar for a full explanation.)
The following chart includes a selection of relevant statistics:
- Each market’s rank and score for small-business vitality
- Number of small businesses (companies with 99 or fewer employees)
- Small businesses per 1,000 residents
- Five-year change in private-sector employment
- Two-year change in population
All statistics are the latest official figures currently available: 2011 for small businesses, 2012 for population and 2013 for employment. A few factors that were included in the formula are not shown here because of space considerations.
TBJ SMALL-BUSINESS RANKINGS (2014)