Our friend Jeff Speck recently gave a TED talk about the “Walkable City,” which was based on his book of the same name. He speaks of principles and priorities that undergirded his review of 20 years of riverfront reports in Memphis. Hired by Memphis Mayor A C Wharton Jr. to provide him with an actionable agenda for the riverfront, Mr. Jeff produced a 74-page report that eschewed the grand plan and made six short-term ideas:
1. Make Riverside Drive a complete street.
2. Make Bass Pro Drive a complete street.
3. Encourage development along Bass Pro Drive.
4. Remake Jefferson Davis Park.
5. Complete the central Riverwalk.
6. Improve Tom Lee Park.
To see his 17-minute TED talk, click here.